Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gaining Sassy Pants and Patience


So this week has definitely been a week of learning patience so far, with team members getting towards the end of their rope after long days and little things we forget to do until its late and we have no patience or energy it’s been a rough one.

Today we were at Miami Dade College, a smaller college then most we go to, but we managed to get our literature out to almost all of the students.  The craziest conversation I had was definitely with one girl who saw the abortion pictures and said that “it’s so wrong and shouldn’t happen”. Then I asked her whether she was registered to vote, she said yes, I then asked if she knew where Obama stood on the matter of abortion. She said that she didn’t know so I told her that he was for abortion up to the 9th month and beyond and how he tried to overturn the partial birth abortion ban. So when I asked her what she thought about that her response was “I still like Obama though”. I asked her why, she said “Because he’s black”. She was walking away at this point and I tried to call after her telling her about the innocent lives being taken every day because of the help Obama gives to the abortion industry. But I’m afraid that all fell on deaf ears.
It’s so hard sometimes, we have all these African American students who have the capability to change the world with their voting power, the power to vote which so many great men and women fought to get. Yes these students remain uneducated and vote based on color, how is this right? Just having been to the civil rights museum and seeing all the ways that people fought for freedoms I hate to see them going backwards. I hate to see the African American community being tricked into thinking people like Obama have their best interests at heart, because that’s absolutely not the case. Please don’t consider me a racist; I was totally hoping Herman Cain would be our next president before he dropped out of the race.

But today got even crazier as we went to the high school today, we were at Miami Central High School and ran into a frustrating situation there. The team always jokes about our team members having what are called ‘sassy pants’. ‘Sassy Pants’ are when you basically get fed up with people trying to silence your right to free speech so you fight as hard to keep your voice heard as they are trying to silence your voice.  I can I believe rightfully say I gained my sassy pants today.

We arrived to the school and split up into teams of two, I had signs and Preston came with me with some literature. So here we are standing on the sidewalk outside the high school (all on public property) and giving the students the information. The students are taking it and talking to us and all of a sudden a police officer comes walking up. He tells me that Preston and I have to move across the sidewalk and we’re not allowed to be there (this is nothing new to be told something like this). So I asked him whether or not I was standing on public property, to which he gave no answer except that I needed to move. Yet again I asked him whether I was breaking a law to which he didn’t answer but said we needed to move. He then asked if I had I.D. on me calling me Daisy (I was wearing a name tag still from the college we were at earlier), I told him “I don’t have I.D. but why do I need it, was I breaking the law?” So he took out his notebook asking Preston if he had his I.D. on him and Preston said no, again I asked him whether we were breaking a law and he refused to answer. So I saw him very agitated and he looked like he could be reaching back for what looked like a hand cuff pouch so at that point I told Preston we would move across just until we could get in touch with Kristina.

At that point I was absolutely furious (I think my eye may have been twitching) and picked up my signs and went across the street. So I definitely had my sassy pants on and started projecting my voice to the students across the streets telling them exactly what their administration didn’t want them to know. Telling them that by the time they graduate one out of every four girls in their high school will have had an abortion. So yeah I’ve learned when my rights have been suffocated and I’m told I can’t be by students and talk to them about what is greatly affecting them that I will get on my sassy pants and then yell at the top of my lungs if that’s what it takes to save lives and help students.

I won’t be silent, I won’t lead a normal life, and I won’t pretend everything is okay until abortion is outlawed in the United States! Yes I know some people will still break the law and have abortions, but just because people commit murder of born humans and rape others doesn’t mean we should make it legal to make it easier for them. Much less give our tax payer dollars to help fund them, so think on that as you finish reading about the life I’m leading. What life will you lead until abortion is ended?

1 comment:

  1. I will lead a life of fighting for the ban of abortion. Abortion isn't the only thing either. The foundation of the family is being broken down by homosexuality and gay marriage. They have to be banned as well. While some do struggle with homosexuality or homosexual tendencies, they shouldn't be encouraged that it's not a problem but rather a wonderful variety of orientation and this be made normal and into law. Abortion is the same way, it's been normalized and many people are conditioned to tolerate it, even Christians. We must fight with our strength and that strength has to come from God because we cannot do it ourselves and alone.
    Keep patient. Keep going. Keep serving the One.

    ~Stanley

    ReplyDelete